[KineJapan] question abstract animation and meaning/narrative

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Thu Apr 12 03:20:09 EDT 2018

I'm not so sure this will help, as he doesn't directly address the subject, but here's an interview I did with Mirai Mizue for the BFI website about 3-4 years back which serves as a good primer for his work.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/sight-sound-magazine/interviews/free-anime-mizue-mirai-wizard-blobs-blocks

all the best,

Jasper

[cid:d5d25fe8-8ee3-4fb2-a6ac-5165acd6a282]

Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival<http://www.day-for-night.org/aperture/> is a new UK-wide film festival co-founded by Sonali Joshi and Jasper Sharp and launching Spring/Summer 2018 devoted to the boldest and most striking movies from Azerbaijan to Vanuatu and everything in between.

The Creeping Garden<http://www.creepinggarden.com/> - A Real-Life Science-Fiction Story about Slime Moulds and the People Who Work With them, directed by Tim Grabham and Jasper Sharp.
Available now on Dual-Format Blu-ray/DVD from Arrow Films<https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/the-creeping-garden-dual-format/FCD1435>.
The book, The Creeping Garden: Irrational Encounters with Plasmodial Slime Moulds is out now from Alchimia Publishing<http://www.alchimiapublishing.com/creeping-garden/>.
"A surprising investigation of perception, thought and life itself", Nicolas Rapold, The New York Times<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/movies/review-the-creeping-garden-on-the-wonders-of-the-slime-mold.html>.
"An out-of-left-field nerdy delight", John DeFore, Hollywood Reporter<https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/creeping-garden-fantasia-review-724416>.
"Strange, eccentric, diverting", Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian<https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/mar/09/creeping-garden-review-slime-mould-film>.