[KineJapan] Rafelson in Japan Inquiry

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 10:54:11 EDT 2018

Hi, Markus,

In the absence of anycomment from someone with direct knowledge, I’d just like to say to Vincentthat Bob Rafelson’s claim to have had a hand, and a voice, in film translationof Japanese films into America seems entirely credible to me. These old translations,even if they are in any way preserved, are largely out of circulation andundocumented so it’s a useful historical note.

But his claim, to being “single-handedlyresponsible for repressing some of the greatest movies ever made”, is surely anexaggeration, and an ironic one, I think, in the use of ‘single-handedly’. Istill occasionally get told by Japanese that Ozu can only be understood by theJapanese, and the view was much more widespread some sixty years ago. He wouldhave been chiming with the accepted studio view at the time.

Roger