[KineJapan] Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 05:54:56 EDT 2018

Dear KineJapaners,

I’mpleased to see that an edited version of the Q&A with Ryuichi Sakamoto and directorStephen Nomura Schible has gone up on the BFI website.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/video-ryuichi-sakamoto-soundtracks

It’s27 minutes long and perhaps the first third is about the recent documentary,then it goes more into Sakamoto’s music which, of course, often involved film.

Iwas keen to catch this as I had to miss the event whilst I was in Bologna. The film, which I have seen during its release, coversSakamoto’s cancer diagnosis unflinchingly. The last part is mainly his readingof J.S. Bach as ‘melancholy’. I don’t think Back wrote a note of melancholymusic but I can fully see how Sakamoto would want to read it that way. The filmeventually fades quietly to black, as if Nomura Schible thought it would be releasedposthumously.

Somy initial interest in the interview was whether Sakamoto would use the MarkTwain chestnut but, instead he asks Nomura Schible what film he would havereleased if he had died.

NomuraSchible’s use of Sakamoto’s son as his cinematographer is an interestingdynamic.

Roger