[KineJapan] Asian Studies Conference Japan in Tokyo, this weekend

Schermann Susanne susanneschermann at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Jun 25 22:21:30 EDT 2018

Dear KineJapaners,

maybe some of you are interested in the Asian Studies Conference Japan that will take place at International Christian University (ICU) in Tokyo this weekend.

There are at least three panels concerning films (sorry if I overlooked something):

“The Genealogy of Shinpa Films from the Early Era to after the War”

“Displacements and Dislocations in Postwar Japanese Mass Media”

“The Aesthetics and Politics of Film from Taiwan and Hong Kong”

There are also quite many individual papers on film, I gather.
Details on the conference are on the ASCJ website, click on "conference"
https://ascjapan.org/

Details on our panel:
SUNDAY MORNING SESSIONS: 10:00–12:00
Session 27: Room 352
The Genealogy of Shinpa Films from the Early Era to after the War
Organizer: Sawako Ogawa, Kyoto University
Chair: Susanne Schermann, Meiji University
1)   Norie Taniguchi, Nihon University
      Shinpa Films and Traditional Japanese Mass Entertainment Culture
2)   Manabu Ueda, Kobe Gakuin University
      Screening Spaces of Shinpa Films: Narrations and Cinemas during the 1910s
3)   Sawako Ogawa, Kyoto University
      Influence of Kabuki and Bunraku on Shinpa Films and Genealogy towards Melodrama
4)   Susanne Schermann, Meiji University
      No Blood Relationin Literature, on Stage, and in Film
Discussant: Chika Kinoshita, Kyoto University

Susanne Schermann