[KineJapan] MLA CFP of interest to KineJapan list members

Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum via KineJapan kinejapan at lists.osu.edu
Tue Mar 6 12:05:03 EST 2018

Good afternoon all,

At the risk of posting this a bit last-minute, I wanted to share a CFP for a session I'm submitting to MLA 2019 for consideration as an executive member of LLC Japanese Since 1900. I'm looking for papers that address a variety of media, so I hope it could be of interest to some list members. Note that all the presenters' abstracts I submit to MLA on April 1 need to be current members, although the session is not guaranteed. Please see below and let me know directly if you have any questions, and feel free to share with others I might have missed.

Dr. Molly C. Des Jardin

Japanese Studies Librarian

University of Pennsylvania

527 Van Pelt-Dietrich Library

3420 Walnut Street

Philadelphia, PA 19104

mollydes at upenn.edu

orcid.org/0000-0001-7294-2898<https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7294-2898>

(215) 898-3205

CFP: "Textual Transference in Modern and Contemporary Japan"

Deadline 15 March 2018
250-word abstract & CV to -> Molly Des Jardin mollydes at upenn.edu

How does creative work get reused, translated, or adapted in modern and contemporary Japan? This panel seeks to explore questions of "transference" writ large: cultural memes, tropes, characters, fictional works, and their reinterpretation in media of all kinds. Potential topics might include:

- Translation into modern language (gendaigo-yaku) of premodern or early modern Japanese works, (ex: some volumes of the Nihon bungaku zenshū pub. Kawade Shobō, 2014-)
- Adaptation of works into other formats, such as literature reinterpreted as manga, film, video games, or fanfiction
- Echoes of common themes or tropes over time or across media
- Franchises reusing characters or stories in multiple media formats
- Substantial editing or framing of earlier creative work in new editions

The panel seeks to pursue these issues as broadly as possible, within the framework of Japanese literature (and other creative media) after 1900. Both original research and papers reflecting on the pedagogy or practice of translation, reuse, and reinterpretation are welcome.