[KineJapan] Wakamatsu Bio

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Thu Oct 4 22:18:42 EDT 2018

Mark Schilling just published his review of the new bio pic on Wakamatsu:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2018/10/03/films/dare-stop-us-japanese-cinemas-bad-boy-seen-one-women-worked/#.W7bE0S2ZM1J

I saw this last summer and really enjoyed it. The film is directed by
Shiraishi Kazuya, who was Wakamatsu's AD. I agree with Mark that the
characters feel a bit overblown and caricature-like at first, but grow on
you. The imitations of Wakamatsu, Adachi Masao, Oshima Nagisa and Arai
Haruhiko are pretty good, and do get better as the film moves through the
years. It's also a great Shinjuku film, with some scenes shot at original
locations that have survived.

There aren't all that many years covered, actually. Only 69 to 72. But the
choice is actually really interesting. First of all, it's because the film
actually centers of Wakamatsu's female AD Yoshizumi Megumi. It's the story
of her growth within the production company and her untimely death (the
cause of which was debated, and Shiraishi leaves it a mystery). But the
time period is also a canny historiographic choice because it shows
Wakamatsu reaching the peak of his pink years, and ends at a fascinating
juncture: Wakamatsu entertains the possibility of working for ATG and make
a move towards the mainstream while Adachi hops on the famous red bus and
takes their Aka-P documentary to instigate the revolution. It's a smart
film. Not as polished or powerful as Shirashi's other film this year (!),
Blood of Wolves. But I hope it gets picked up on the festival circuit. I'm
curious what other people think.

(I talked to Adachi about it briefly. He said his friends from those days
all grouse and complain about Shiraishi not getting it, but Adachi himself
was more expansive—critical of the film, while wanting the younger director
to present his take on Wakamatsu and the era. I wish Wakamatsu was here to
comment!)

Markus

---

*Markus Nornes*
*Professor of Asian Cinema*
Department of Screen Arts and Cultures, Department of Asian Languages and
Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

*Department of Screen Arts and Cultures*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*