[KineJapan] Happy New Year and Kinema Club XVIII

Caitlin Casiello caitlin.casiello at yale.edu
Fri Jan 11 20:09:29 EST 2019

Hi Alex & Kineclubbers,

We will have a schedule out soon!

In the mean time, I wanted to note that we have a block of rooms at a
discount rate at the Courtyard Marriott in New Haven where the panelists
will be staying. The booking link is here so if anyone is coming, please
book through this: https://www.marriott
.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1544217275236&key=GRP&app=resvlink.
It's for a limited time only (through January 21st) so hopefully we'll get
a schedule out so you can commit. (The block of rooms will also be
available after the 21st, but at the standard rate.)

Also (at the risk of igniting a debate about mailing lists vs Facebook), we
have a Facebook page up for the event where we will be posting updates and
information. Please follow if you still use the Zuck's information
manipulation playground:
https://www.facebook.com/Kinema-Club-18-Gender-Sexuality-in-Japanese-Film-622140941553602

Best,
Caitlin

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 8:58 PM Zahlten, Alexander <azahlten at fas.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> Hello Aaron (and Everyone),
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Just in case I missed it, has a schedule for the upcoming Kinema Club been
> sent out yet?
>
> Best,
> Alex
>

> On 1/1/19, 01:16, "KineJapan on behalf of Gerow Aaron" <
> kinejapan-bounces at mailman.yale.edu on behalf of aaron.gerow at yale.edu>
> wrote:
>
>     Here’s wishing you a happy and productive new year. I look forward to
> conversing with you all on KineJapan in 2019.
>
>     I also look forward to seeing many of you at Kinema Club XVIII at
> Yale. We were blessed with a lot of good nominations and ended up selecting
> the following films (six features and one animated short):
>
>     Fukujusō (Kawate Jirō, 1935)
>     『福寿草』(川手、1935年)
>
>     Flowers Have Fallen (Ishida Tamizo, 1938)
>     『花ちりぬ(石田、1938年)
>
>     Madam Butterfly’s Fantasy (1940)
>     『お蝶夫人の幻想』(1940年)
>
>     Gate of Flesh (Makino Masahiro, 1948)
>     『肉体の門』(マキノ、1948年)
>
>     The Eternal Breasts (Tanaka Kinuyo, 1955)
>     『乳房よ永遠なれ』(田中、1955年)
>
>     The Elegant Life of Mr. Everyman (Okamoto Kihachi, 1963)
>     『江分利満氏の優雅な生活』(岡本, 1963年)
>
>     Lily Festival (Hamano Sachi, 2001)
>     『百合祭』(浜野、2001年)
>
>     We are still putting together the panels and the actual daily
> schedule. We have asked Kataoka Ichiro to perform the benshi, and Matsumura
> Makia to accompany him on piano, for the screening of Fukujuso.
>
>     There is the chance that the copyright owners for one of these films
> might not let us show it (though the chance of that is quite small), so
> there may be some changes to the schedule, but do at least mark your
> calendars for February 22 to 24, 2019, and plan to join us at Yale!
>
>     Aaron Gerow
>     Professor
>     Film and Media Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
>     Director of Graduate Studies, Film and Media Studies
>     Yale University
>     143 Elm Street, Room 210
>     PO Box 208324
>     New Haven, CT 06520-8324
>     USA
>     Phone: 1-203-432-7082
>     Fax: 1-203-432-6729
>     e-mail: aaron.gerow at yale.edu
>     website: www.aarongerow.com

Caitlin Casiello

Ph.D. Student
Film & Media Studies / East Asian Languages and Literatures
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Yale University