[KineJapan] Page of Madness

Gerow Aaron aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Sun Jan 13 16:45:35 EST 2019

That’s a tricky question. Technically, most think the film is public domain, which is why Flicker Alley was able to put out that Blu-Ray.

The NFAJ treats the film as still under the provenance of Kinugasa’s family, but it’s debatable whether those constitute any rights. The NFAJ is renting out their print again, after many years of not doing so, so if you want the best print, contact the NFAJ.

Otherwise, the Eastman House and the BFI prints are both supposed to be pretty good. I’ve seen the Eastman House one several times.

If you just want to show the Blu-Ray, you can contact Flicker Alley. That’s what we did for our screening at Haremame.

Aaron