[KineJapan] Fw: Film Awards

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 23 10:01:16 EST 2019

Another thing about the awards -

The top of the front page of the Financial Times today is splashedwith the news that Roma has won 15 nominations for ‘best picture’. Theirtack, as in other papers is that “the streaming service is disrupting thesilver screen in the way it has television”.

Well, undoubtedly, but something else has happened here. Roma is afilm with almost no english dialogue (we were warned at the start thatspanish would be subtitled uninflected, but mixteco languages would bebracketed).

I could always manage, with a certain old-world hauteur, to lookdown on the Oscars as a supercharged fashion show because the way they treat ‘foreign’films. A brief glance through film history can show that there have been manyyears when the main contenders for world’s ‘best film’ are nowhere to be seenat the Academy Awards, and are only skimpingly, if at all, seen segregated inthe colonialist structure of ‘best foreign language’ film.

So, I’m curious how Roma got its tanks on that lawn.

And, to quickly tuck this back into Japanese film topics, I’m curious howRoma gets nominated in the main category, and Shoplifters in thecolonial category. Both are excellent, tender films that have gained just aboutuniversal critical and popular success. Here in London, Shoplifters,which I think opened in November is already scheduled to continue in cinemasuntil the end of January. Roma, which opened later, is also still doingwell but, in this case, demand has been artificially attenuated by restrictingits theatre screenings.

I should add that I can see reasons why Roma would getnominated - from both Hollywood-imperialist and dissentient motives (and,obviously artistic), but I’m curious how it gets through the rules andso many others haven’t.

Roger

   ----- Forwarded message ----- From: Roger Macy <macyroger at yahoo.co.uk>To: Japanese Cinema Discussion Forum <kinejapan at mailman.yale.edu>Sent: Wednesday, 23 January 2019, 10:48:12 GMTSubject: Re: [KineJapan] Mainichi Film Awards
  Thanks, Aaron, as ever for your newscasts.Emoto Tasuku seems to have got his actor award for .‘And Your Bird Can Sing’ きみの鳥はうたえる byMIYAKE Shō. I see it's showing at the Berlinale 'Forum' this year (which I will not get to).Roger