[KineJapan] More problems for Shusenjo

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Fri Nov 8 12:14:19 EST 2019

It is deadly ironic that this is perhaps the first documentary to really
allow them to lay out their case. Being new to documentary, Dezaki largely
followed the convention of tv documentary balance so he did a fairly
careful job of describing the positions of both sides. They say he
presented his project as balanced and “middle of the road,” and I don’t
doubt it.

TV journalism’s ideology of balance also informs the uyoku’s conception of
nonfiction (and their own YouTube shows often follow tv wide show formats),
so their real problem is that Dezaki shifts gears halfway though, analyzes
the right wing arguments, finds them wanting. That is what annoys them.
Personally, I was happy to have the chance to hear them explain themselves.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:52 AM Gerow Aaron via KineJapan <
kinejapan at mailman.yale.edu> wrote:

> The rightwing battle against Shusenjo is escalating. Not only is one
> rightwinger asking for criminal charges to be filed (for copyright
> infingement), but the rightwingers who appeared in the film are trying to
> take advantage of Sophia University's research guidelines. According to the
> article, the eight participants originally signed a "research cooperation
> agreement" provided by Sophia, which was the process the director Dezaki
> followed since the film was made when he was still a student at Sophia. Now
> they plan to file a form withdrawing from that cooperation agreement. The
> article says that in such cases, by its own rules Sophia is obliged to
> destroy the results of such research cooperation. The rightwinger Fujioka
> Nobukatsu says in the article: "By Sophia's own regulations, Shusenjo has
> lost its basis for existence and become something that should not exist in
> this world.”
>
> https://www.excite.co.jp/news/article/TokyoSports_1610712

---

*Markus Nornes*
*Professor of Asian Cinema*
Department of Film, Television and Media, Department of Asian Languages and
Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

*Department of Film, Television and Media*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*