[KineJapan] Obayashi RIP

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Sat Apr 11 09:45:39 EDT 2020

I was waiting on Aaron, who was a friend of the director, but the world
situation must be putting him off his game. This was not unexpected, but
the great Obayashi Nobuhiko passed this week. These days, we immediately
wonder if it was the virus. But it was the stage 4 lung cancer he was
diagnosed with four years ago, and through which he tirelessly worked.

Here is Mark’s obit in Variety:

https://variety.com/2020/film/asia/nobuhiko-obayashi-dies-dead-japanese-director-1234577784/

And the Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nobuhiko-obayashi-dead-japanese-filmmaker-was-82-1289895

And JT:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/04/11/national/director-nobuhiko-obayashi-dies/#.XpHH8yUpDDs

Incredibly, Obayashi has a new film. It was to have been in theaters now,
but the release date has been postponed because of the pandemic. Here is
the homepage. Looks like loads of fun. Naturally.

https://umibenoeigakan.jp

Markus

--
---

*Markus Nornes*
*Professor of Asian Cinema*
Department of Film, Television and Media, Department of Asian Languages and
Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

*Department of Film, Television and Media*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*