[KineJapan] Terayama on García Márquez

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 6 07:56:51 EDT 2020

Dear Lorenzo and Steve,

I contacted Tony Rayns when I saw this question, due to his dealings andknowledge of Terayama, and he kindly offered this :-

About Saraba Hakobune:  I saw Terayama's three-ring-circus ofa stage production in Tokyo (it took place on three widely distanced stages setup in a cavernous warehouse on Tokyo Bay), which the film derives from, and Idid ask Terayama if he'd formally acquired the rights to adapt Garcia Marquez-- since the play was still called 100 Years of Solitude.  He toldme that he did clear it with the publisher of the Japanese translation, whichwas probably true.

I never asked Madame Govaers about the film rights, so I never heard theanecdote which Prof Bordwell's colleague Steve Ridgely reports.  It ringstrue to me that Govaers would have shown the film to Garcia Marquez and askedhis permission, but it's not possible that Terayama was present becausehis nephritis killed him in the very early stages of the post-production.Terayama would probably have wanted to keep Garcia Marquez's title, and themoney-minded Govaers would definitely have wanted to market Terayama'slast film as 100 Years of Solitude.  It also rings true that GarciaMarquez (always famously cagey about film adaptations of his work) would havejudged the film a very free adaptation and asked for a title change. Incidentally, the film's post-production wasn't finished until nearly a yearafter Terayama's death.

Roger