[KineJapan] Film researcher Hatano Tetsuro passed away

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Mon Oct 5 14:00:46 EDT 2020

I was saddened to hear this news. Hanano-sensei was one of those scholars
who you'd bump into all over the place. I remember the first time we met,
at my first year working for the Yamagata festival. He came to many of the
sessions for Nichibei Eigasen, and immediately struck me as someone who
knew an awful lot. That was before I knew anything about him. He went to
every Yamagata. I'd find him at bonenkai and art openings and film events
of every stripe. I loved his smile and soft demeanor as he chatted about
the latest film encounters. He was always interested and interesting. Not
long ago I told him I hoped to sit down and learn everything about *Cinema
69* and *70*. I'm so sad I didn't have the chance.

Markus

---

*Markus Nornes*
*Professor of Asian Cinema*
Department of Film, Television and Media, Department of Asian Languages and
Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

*Department of Film, Television and Media*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*