[KineJapan] Film fests of yore in Yurakucho/Hibiya

Anne McKnight annekmcknight at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 19:39:03 EDT 2020

Hi all~

I’m wondering if anyone who has pounded the pavements and darkened the doors of the theatres in the Yurakucho area might know of any film fests particularly associated with the Hibiya Chanter (日比谷シャンテ) theatre?
I ask because Kurosawa Akira was in about 1991 miffed that one of his films (The Bad Sleep Well) was not included at the retrospective of his films that screened there; he hints that it is too déclassé for the time and place. The whole Kurosawa feature was probably a part of a larger festival, as he does refer to a フェスティバル.
If I had access to PIA I would go back and look at the listings, but I don’t, so if anyone has a memory of being there or reading about festivals that took place in Hibiya, or strolling by the marquees even, I would very much enjoy hearing about these events.

Thanks!

Anne