[KineJapan] Iwanami Productions retrospective at Ill cinema ritirovato

Alexander Jacoby alexanderjacoby at brookes.ac.uk
Sun Aug 1 12:25:53 EDT 2021

Dear Quentin,

Thanks for drawing attention to our Iwanami programme at Bologna. Johan and
I had meant to announce it on this list, and the complications and
convolutions of the COVID era distracted us! Apologies to any who weren't
apprised of it and might have gone.

For us, Iwanami seemed a very logical starting point for the exploration of
Japanese documentary, since it fostered the careers of some really
significant directors who went on to have extensive careers, either
continuing in documentary or moving towards fiction film (or, in the case
of Hani, something in between). Personally I think Kaiheki / The Sea Wall
is some kind of masterpiece - and I think it was the film that seemed to
impress the Bologna audience most thoroughly - perhaps due to
the excellent quality of the 35mm colour / widescreen print. (When we
consulted KineJapan's always helpful Markus Nornes about our plans for this
programme, one piece of advice he gave us was "Make sure you show Kaiheki
on 35mm"!).

I might take the opportunity to correct one statement you made - I don't
think it can be said we "mostly" focused on Sumiko Haneda, since we only
showed two of her films - along with one by Toshie Tokieda, one by Kazuo
Kuroki, and three by Susumu Hani. Although it was a relatively small
programme, we thought we covered quite a decent range of the company's
typical output: educational film, sociopolitical commentary, film about
cultural heritage, promotional film.

But anyway, thanks for drawing attention, belatedly, to this show. We also
mounted a small follow-up to last year's Kawashima programme - two recent
restorations of Daiei films (Temple of Wild Geese / Gan no tera and Elegant
Beast / Shitoyakana kemono) seemed to go down well.

ALEX