[KineJapan] Makino Mamoru book

Michael Raine raine.michael.j at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 23:27:03 EST 2021

If anyone's interested in this fascinating connection between Miki and
Yanagita, there are two essays that deal with it in a special issue of Arts
co-edited by Marcos Centeno-Martin and I on the "Japanese documentary mode".

The essays are a translation of Fujii Jinshi's "Yanagita Kunio to bunka
eiga: Shōwa jyūnendai niokeru nichijōseikatsu no hakken to kokumin no sōzō"
(2003)
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-0752/9/2/54/htm
and an essay by Daisuke Miyao titled "What’s the Use of Culture?
Cinematographers and the Culture Film in Japan in the Early 1940s"
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-0752/8/2/42

I think the other essays in the issue are also well worth reading. The
whole issue is open access and can be downloaded from this page:
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/arts/special_issues/developments_japanese_documentary_mode

It's due to come out in book form shortly: I'll announce it on the list and
would be grateful if people would order it for their libraries!

Best,

Michael

Michael Raine, Associate Professor in English and Writing Studies
Western University, Canada
co-editor, Journal of Japanese and Korean Cinema

<https://www.aup.nl/en/book/9789089647733/the-culture-of-the-sound-image-in-prewar-japan>

*The Culture of the Sound Image in Prewar Japan*, Michael Raine and Johan
Nordström (eds),

is now available (Amsterdam University Press, 2020).

Available to order via
https://www.aup.nl/en/book/9789089647733/the-culture-of-the-sound-image-in-prewar-japan;
and in the US via http://shop.btpubservices.com/Title/9789089647733.