[KineJapan] Kawase Watch

Gerow Aaron aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Sat Jun 5 12:19:49 EDT 2021

I did not see the show, but I did read the articles about it. My reading was a little different, perhaps. I think she cited the crowded Ginza as much to blame Japanese for not doing what they should to control the pandemic. But the clear implication was that everyone should be staying at home so that the Olympics can take place and all the athletes can perform, as if all Japanese should be united in making the Olympics happen. Her problematic stance became clear from the start when she said that Japanese should separate their unease over the pandemic from dissatisfaction over the Olympics. Given that the Japanese government’s pandemic policy has likely been significantly influenced by the desire to hold the Olympics, this seems like a poor understanding of the situation.