[KineJapan] Kawase Watch

Anne McKnight annekmcknight at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 23:38:35 EDT 2021

I started following Kawase's Twitter (https://twitter.com/KawaseNAOMI) a couple weeks ago, anticipating she would make some sort of pronouncement. But it’s been just a string of fan tweets, her fans weighing in on her strength of purpose, coolness. Her role as emissary of culture is quite strong, and she tweets from places around the country, and regarding the Nara film fest. It struck me as a bit off for her to say:

今年も熱い夏がやってくる!
待ってるよ!
It’s going to be another “hot” summer (meaning, I suppose, energetic and awesome)! Unless you are a marathoner in the dead of Tokyo summer, in which case it is going to be a REALLy hot summer.

In lieu of tweeting her own position in, say, a thread, she has instead retweeted defenses about how it is important to divorce the Olympics from politics, the need to leave a “true record” of the events (ちゃんと記録に残して下さること), and the universalism of the event in Banpaku-like catch copy (日本が招致した人類の祭典ならば、最後まで開催に尽力する事が当たり前だと思う.).

Given the precedent of Ichikawa Kon’s profligate and committee-enraging Tokyo Olympiad, I am disappointed that it seems to have conceded to the status of PR film. “Everydayness” will have such a different status, even if athletes are at the center of the stories…

Anne