[KineJapan] SHIMIZU HIROSHI PARIS

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 26 20:29:22 EDT 2021

Indeed, it’s very sad that the minimum 6-day isolationperiod for people entering from outside the European travel area, makes flyingvisits out of the question.  There is thepossibility that the June-July slot at MCJP might be easier but the individual datesare not up yet.

I particularly wanted to see 女医の記録 [Joino kiroku], 1941, which screens at the Cinémathèque this coming evening, as itI could not see it available anywhere. However, this week it has turned up onthe growing list of Maya Grohn’s Youtube channel with english subtitles. Shehas concentrated on Japanese films from the 1930s and 1940s – an era manypresent-day translators do not find easy. Her subtitles can be quite sensitiveto register but have many errors that even a spellchecker would eliminate. I’dlike to buy her Alex’s Handbook so that she might at least avoidBorat-style film titles.

I found Joi no kiroku atreasure. I can’t find anything on it in the western-language literature, but Ifeel sure that Keiko McDonald would have noticed it in her manuscript – does anyoneknow what happened to that ? It seems evident that it grew out of thedocumentary of the previous year, with an identical start, Villages without Doctors, 医者のゐない村Isha no inai mura, 1940, shown at the lastYamagata. I think, since their credit becomes before the professionalsupporting actors, that the coterie of female medical students are the realthing, and not just extras. Tanaka Kinuyo looks completely at home in the part,as if she had used a stethoscope for years. Whereas Ornamental Hairpin wasreleased just five weeks after Tanaka’s previous film, there was a full threemonths further gap before the release of this film and I fancy that Tanaka andMorikawa spent a fair part of that working with the medics of Tokyo women’smedical school.

There is much focus on the shameculture of the village and needing to overcome it to cure the patients –remarkably echoing Toyoda Shirō’s Spring on Small Islands of 1940.07.31.

So, if you’re in reach of Paris,this evening, I wouldn’t miss it ...

Journal d'une femme médecin (Hiroshi Shimizu, 1941) - La Cinémathèque française

|  |
Journal d'une femme médecin (Hiroshi Shimizu, 1941) - La Cinémathèque fr...

Roger