[KineJapan] Orochi

Thomas Ball t112x at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 08:26:32 EDT 2022

 Roger, no worries about any delay in responding! Your notes are an excellent, highly insightful coda to my discursive query, especially nailing the source of the Youtube vid -- the 'talking silents' videos from Digital Meme -- and the Benshi narrator. I hope to access and view them via interlibrary loan.

Thank you, too, for underscoring the critical distinction between class struggles and biblical parables as depicted (or not) in Orochi. I would question Jacoby's observation about any 'lack' of political implications in the script, that's a question of authorial intentionality which is very difficult to nail down with confidence. I may be missing something but Orochi is a samurai who is disgraced, therefore, the 'social injustices' he experiences cannot result from class differences, exploitation or struggle. This suggests more diffuse, apolitical social processes at work.

My reference to the Matthew Effect comes from a paper by the late Columbia sociologist Robert Merton, The Matthew Effect in Science, first published in 1968 in Science magazine. Merton was concerned with describing cumulative advantage in the diffusion of scientific citations. Merton's paper originated in the work of the late, great Yale historian of science, Derek de Solla Price, work which has been extended in recent decades by network scientists such as Alberto Barabasi, which you correctly identify as preferential attachment. To risk another cognitive bias, Merton's paper may have 'anchored' me too narrowly on that single parable. Your comments widened the aperture into other frameworks which seem just as relevant.
The question that continues to interest me concerns originary East Asian cultural analogues which predate these Western biblical parables and constructs, Orochi the film is just a foil or point of reference for that query. For example, does karma have relevance here? Or is it a question of honor and Orochi's fall from that? another socially defined process of great significance for Asian cultures.

In any case, thank you so much for these very helpful suggestions and thoughts!

Best regards,
Thomas