[KineJapan] Toho Sogi Gallery Talk's Explosive Ending

Gerow Aaron aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Sun Sep 3 17:59:42 EDT 2023

Fascinating talk! Thanks so much for the summary.

From what I’ve read and heard, Miyajima has often been discussed in a complex fashion. While a hardened leftist after the war, he made propaganda films during the war and served in high positions in wartime industry guilds. Often called “tenno” after the war for his force and power, Miyajima also probably earned a lot of resentment. I recall at least one conversation calling him a hypocrite for his reversal after the war.

Perhaps this is yet another piece in the complex puzzle of Miyajima Yoshio.

Aaron Gerow
Alfred W. Griswold Professor of East Asian Languages and Literatures and Film and Media Studies
Chair, East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
320 York Street, Room 108
PO Box 208201
New Haven, CT 06520-8201