[KineJapan] Fw: Nissan Institute Seminar Series - Week 6 update - HT 2024

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 23 19:34:08 EST 2024

 For anyone in reach of Oxford on March 7th, there is a preview test screening of John Williams' new documentary, 'The Squid and the Pine'.Roger

   ----- Forwarded message ----- From: Nissan Institute of Japanese Studies <administrator at nissan.ox.ac.uk>To: "macyroger at yahoo.co.uk" <macyroger at yahoo.co.uk>Sent: Friday, 23 February 2024 at 13:56:33 GMTSubject: Nissan Institute Seminar Series - Week 6 update - HT 2024

|  |

|    |

|   |

|    |

|  Nissan Institute Seminar in Japanese Studies

Hilary Term 2024

Thursdays 2.00 - 3.30 p.m. in the Pavilion Room, 4th Floor, Gateway Building, St. Antony's College, Oxford unless otherwise stated
 Co-convenors: Drs Juliana Buriticá Alzate, Chinami Oka, Alice Baldock, and Olga Khomenko
Thursday 29 February - This event will be in hybrid format and in the Pavilion Room, starting at 12.00 pm.
Ven. Kodo Nishimura, Artist, Buddhist Monk, and LGBTQ+ Activist
This Monk Wears Heels – Buddhism and Sexuality
Please use this link to register https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0ocuirrToqHNEY72lHxTgK0UimYfOd8hWw

Thursday 7 March - This event will take place in the Nissan Institute Lecture Theatre starting at 5.00 pm
A preview test screening of a new documentary film, The Squid and the Pine - John Williams

Friday 8 March - This event will take place in the Nissan Institute Lecture Theatre starting at 1.30 pm
Japan Politics Colloquium

The JPC is a regular event offering a space for researchers to share their ideas and benefit from discussion of their preliminary findings. It covers both domestic and international themes.
This year it will bring together colleagues from Sheffield, Warwick, INALCO (Paris) and Oxford.

Papers at this year’s colloquium will include discussion of Japan’s defence industrial strategy focussing on fighter aircraft production, aspects of Japan’s relations with China, digitalisation policy, the politics of education reform, party discipline within the parliamentary system and Japan’s affirmative action policies.

Presentations will be kept brief to allow ample time for comments and discussion.

All are welcome.

A full list of the sessions, abstracts of each of the papers, and draft papers are available on request to ian.neary at nissan.ox.ac.uk

Monday 11 and Tuesday 12 March - This event will take place in the Nissan Institute Lecture Theatre
The Free and Open Indo-Pacific: Japan's Strategic Vision Goes Global

In a rapidly evolving global landscape, the Indo-Pacific region is a pivotal arena of economic power and geopolitical importance. The Free and Open Indo-Pacific initiative, championed by Japan and increasingly recognised by other global powers, captures this dynamic shift. With the region accounting for 60% of global GDP and becoming a focus of major rivalries, most notably between the US and China, the initiative's relevance cannot be overstated.

This two-day conference features a line-up of distinguished speakers, and will offer new insights into the economic, political, and security challenges of this critical geopolitical theatre.

More details here:  https://nissan.web.ox.ac.uk/free-open-indopacific
Register here: https://forms.office.com/e/6THPKPHKCX
 We gratefully acknowledge the support of the Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation.
Those travelling from outside Oxford are advised to check on the Institutes website in case there has been a cancellation or change of venue www.nissan.ox.ac.uk/events   |

|    |

Our mailing address is: administrator at nissan.ox.ac.uk

Want to change how you receive these emails?  You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Nissan Institute of Japanese Studies, University of Oxford, 27 Winchester Road, Oxford OX2 6NA, United Kingdom  |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|    |

|  This email was sent to macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
 Nissan Institute of Japanese Studies · University of Oxford · 27 Winchester Road · Oxford, Oxf OX2 6NA · United Kingdom