[KineJapan] [EXTERNAL] 2024 Oscars

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Wed Jan 24 08:14:50 EST 2024

Peter Larson wrote:

> An obvious question, but do directors of films made in Japan have to be
> directed by Japanese people?

Of course not. I haven’t heard of any outrage. But I do know a bunch of
film people who went “Huh” when they heard. I think they would prefer to
see a local director feted and in the competition. Unlike immigrant John
Williams, Wenders dropped in to shoot with key German personnel and then
went home.

Anyway, it made me think how auteurism pegs the nationality of
co-productions at award competitions. And it’s all haunted by nationalism.

Markus