[KineJapan] information wanted on late Japanese silents (1936-41)

Johan Nordstrom johan.nord at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 00:50:12 EST 2024

This is a very interesting topic. I scratched the surface a bit in my
research on the Japanese sound-version films and the resulting article,
that was published in the Routledge Handbook of Japanese Cinema, presents
some data and context.

As far as I could see, many of the silent films produced after 1936 were
sound-version films, and it was common that their soundtrack included
benshi narration (sometimes utilising several benshi at the same time for
one film). Most of these films were made by second-rung production studios
and after a certain point not reviewed properly, for instance Kinema junpo
were highly dismissive of them before ignoring them completely. As to why
it ended in 1941, Joseph Anderson claims in his article 'Spoken Silents in
the Japanese Cinema; or Talking to Pictures' that it was due to "the
government prohibited silent film production on the grounds that they had
no redeeming social or moral values and their swordfighter heroes were
subversive of official ideology. A military procurement agency denounced
these cheap movies as a waste of precious resources because the raw
materials could be used to make explosives." Interestingly, he writes in
the footnote that the sources were 'lost' but states that he read it at the
Waseda Enpaku. If anyone on the list has also come across this information
and/or knows the source for Anderson's claim, I would be thrilled to know
more.

Regarding the survival ratio of these films, the situation is abysmal.
There are a few at the NFAJ, and when I was looking at unidentified
Japanese prints at the Gosfilmofond a few years back, I remember spotting a
few single reels of what I believed to be unidentified late
silent/sound-version films as well. One that stood out featured the
Shinsegumi in what looked like a time-slip or teleportation plot, where
they found themselves in Africa, complete with "borrowed documentary
footage" of lions and semi-naked African women dancing. Another short
jidaigeki fragment featured a gun wielding tengu. I hope someday someone
will get the chance to go through all those reels properly.

Johan