[KineJapan] Rest in Peace, DB

Jonathan M. Hall jonathanmarkhall at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 00:35:20 EST 2024

2+2=7... 3+3=9... I always felt Bordwell enjoyed, no, relished, his
"post-theoretical" stance. Read the stick-it-to-them introductory essay on
the "Vicissitudes of Grand Theory" in his 1996 co-edited volume with Noel
Carroll. He was having fun! And if you have any doubt, just consider the
cover image for that volume from Hal Roach's Laurel & Hardy film, *A Chump
at Oxford. *That's where my math is from. Bordwell et al.'s  attacks on
"grand" or "high theory" felt reactionary to me at the time, and they still
do today. But there's no doubting the wonderful contributions he made to
close reading. I'm glad his work is there for me to admire and disagree
with.

Jonathan M Hall
World Languages & Literatures
California State University San Bernardino