[KineJapan] help with TV series in US in the mid-1970s

Desser, David M desser at illinois.edu
Mon Mar 11 12:13:48 EDT 2024

Hi -

Help, please, from anyone as old as I with a better memory or any who are better researchers (which is probably most of you):

in 1974 or 1975 PBS in the US had a film series hosted by Edwin O. Reischauer devoted to showing, then discussing or having interviews with actors, a range of Japanese films.  Former Pacific Film Archive director Sheldon Renan was heavily involved, too.  Films like Twenty-Four Eyes, Ugetsu, Night Drum, Boy, Double Suicide, Early Summer, were part of the series.  Donald Richie was a frequent guest; Mifune Toshiro was interviewed after the showing of Sanjuro (I think it was).  I think it was called The Japanese Film.  Anyone able to confirm the year and the title?  Thanks!

David