[KineJapan] Stills from Tōhō

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Wed May 8 19:26:16 EDT 2024

J-Flicks on NHK World has told me something akin to what Jasper wrote. They
are starting a classics bit for each episode now, and I'll be doing the
first batch. They are keen on big, famous directors (Ozu again), and 1953
is their cut-off date. I find their willingness to take the public domain
rule refreshing.

But when I suggested doing pre-1953 Kurosawa they immediately said no. The
family was aggressive and problematic. It isn't worth the predictable
fight.

Markus

---

*Markus Nornes*
*Professor of Asian Cinema*

Department of Film, Television and Media, Department of Asian Languages and
Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

*Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nornes/
<http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nornes/>*
*Department of Film, Television and Media*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street**Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*