[KineJapan] Yamagata FF Interview Collection

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Thu May 30 04:44:25 EDT 2024

Yamagata has always conducted lots of interviews over the course of their
festival week. They've been disseminated in all sorts of ways. Since the
pandemic, they've put them online on a page of their website. Interviews
from last year's festival (bilingual as usual and with careful
translation and editing) just went online.

https://www.yidff.jp/interviews/2023/23i-e.html (English)
https://www.yidff.jp/interviews/2023/23i.html (Japanese)

The Japanese filmmakers include Maeda Shinjiro, Oda Kaori, Hatano Shuhei
and Okawa Keiko. And I conducted two more fairly lengthy interviews.

The first was with Inoue Minoru. He is the director of Men with the Movie
Camera, a fascinating, if conventional, documentary about films shot in the
wake of the Great Kanto Earthquake, some newly discovered and all newly
restored and digitized by the National Film Archive. Inoue did some
interesting original research and gives a granular analysis of the shooting
of the films.

The other interview I did was with Neo Sora about Opus. I don't know about
Neo, but I enjoyed our conversation very much for the way it ranged across
personal, technical and theoretical contemplations.

Markus

---

*Markus Nornes*
*Professor of Asian Cinema*

Department of Film, Television and Media, Department of Asian Languages and
Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

*Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nornes/
<http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nornes/>*
*Department of Film, Television and Media*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street**Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*