Tent caterpilars

Hank Brodkin hankb at theriver.com
Wed Apr 16 05:59:52 EDT 1997

Jeff Shimonski wrote:

> In article <199704071116.GAA00594 at dollar.shell.com>,
>         Thaddeus Charles Jones 245-8921 BTC 206 <tcjones at SHELLUS.COM> wrote:
>
> >For the last week I have been seeing excellent numbers (thousands) of forest
> > tent
> >caterpilars in the Houston area. In some areas so many are dropping out
> >of the trees it sounds like a gentle rain.
>
>  Thats interesting we've have the same infestation here in South Miami, Fl
> for the last two weeks on Mahogany (Swietenia sp).

There is also an infestation along the upper San Pedro River in
southeastern Arizona.  Pieces of newly emerged leaves of Fremont's
Cottonwood (Populus fremontii) cover the ground.  The nests number in
the hundreds on each tree.  The willows (Salix sp.) also are affected.
This is my first Spring here - so I do not know if this is a yearly
occurrance.
--
		Hank Brodkin, Nicksville, AZ
              31.42 Degrees N, 110.12 Degrees W