Was it Dichlorvos?

tom c. cigolott at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue Apr 29 06:18:44 EDT 1997

Chris

They are not banned up here (Canada).

Their mode of action was to give of the Diclorovos in an enclosed
room and kill the flies this way.

Too bad it was removed from spray formulations. It was very
effective when used properly.

The only tidbit I have to offer is that there is some lowering of
fertility. Used to work in animal studies and though it kept the
flies down, it did lower the reproduction rate considerably.

There is also the cancer connection and although some time ago,
it requires high concentrations for this. I suppose if misused it
could do  damage.

regards
tom c.

In message <3361A67C.4467 at SpamBeGone_worldnet.att.net> - Chris &
Christine <c.squared at SpamBeGone_worldnet.att.net> writes:
}
}I hope to reach extension agents, professors, professionals or anyone
}else out there who can help with this elusive question. Perhaps there is
}someone out there with archived information, news clippings or history
}about a chemical used about twenty-five years ago.
}
}I am looking for any information you can provide on *Shell* No-Pest
}strips. They went off the market in the late '60's or early '70's (?).
}They may have been produced by Shell Oil before Shell Chemical spun off
}as a subsidiary. The Shell logo was prominently displayed on the
}product, and is not to be confused with the No-Pest strips often used
}today for reptile mites, although it may contain a similar formulation.
}
}They were yellow plastic material surrounded by a cardboard box with
}symetrical holes in it. The enclosing box was often
}colored with a false wood-grain. The unit was usually hung by a
}paperclip from overhead, somewhere in the home out of the reach of
}children. In general, a fly merely had to land on the enclosed yellow
}plastic card to die. I am interested in knowing whether these strips
}were made using dichlorvos or another chemical. I would like to know the
}name of that particular chemical and it's relation to dichlorvos if any.
}If the chemical properties are not available on a website like ExToxNET,
}I would also appreciate common MSDS information regarding the chemical.
}
}If you have historical context regarding the same product, including
}when it came on the market and when it was discontinued and why, all the
}more helpful would this be.
}
}If you can provide assistance or know someone who can provide
}assistance, I would be most appreciative.
}
}If the information you have is of large quantity, you may want to e-mail
}it directly to me, rather than post it. If the information is paper
}copy, I'd consider reverse charges for faxing, but please e-mail first.
}
}Regards,
}
}Chris
}--
}      _   _       To send mail, simply remove "spamBeGone_"
}--ooO--(|)--Ooo--       All non-spam e-mail welcome.
}
}--