UK Lepidoptera

Tony Prichard tonyp at kbss.bt.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 09:19:10 EDT 1997

Here are some of my lepidoptera experiences in Suffolk this year.

There have been very few reports of Painted Lady (Cynthia cardui), I
personally haven't seen one this year. Red Admirals (Vanessa atalanta)
have been around but in low numbers.

Brown Argus (Aricia agestis) is still doing well in the county
following a very good year last year.

Green Hairstreak (Callophrys rubi) had a good year being recorded from
several new tetrads.

There has been one record of Clouded Yellow (Colias croceus) that I
know of.

There appear to have been two waves of migration of Large White (Pieris
brassicae) and this species has appeared in better numbers than last
year.

Green-veined White (Pieris napi) is doing very well this year as it has
in previous years.

Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus) has appeared in reasonable numbers
this year but we expect it numbers to crash next year.

I heard from the County Recorder that Dingy Skippers (Erynnis tages)
were having a second brood, has anyone else noticed this?

Moving onto the moth front, I run a moth trap usually 1-2 times a week
in Ipswich and at various places around the county at least once a
week. I haven't really had much in the way of migrant moths this year
until Wednesday last week when I had tens of Diamond Backed Moths
(Plutella xylostella) and two Tawny Waves (Scopula rubiginata) in the
trap at home.

I ran the trap again last night and again had tens of Diamond Backed
Moths (Plutella xylostella) along with 3 Silver Ys (Autographa gamma)
and another Tawny Wave (Scopula rubiginata).

I have had Tawny Wave up in the Brecks (north of Bury St Edmunds) in
the past but never before in Ipswich. Aldeburgh (on the Suffolk coast
approx. 20 miles north of Ipswich) is supposed to be another resident
site.  Skinner mentions that the species is also migratory. Has anybody
else had this species recently?  I don't know whether these individuals
are stray residents or migrants.  The latter seems most likely to me.

Tony Prichard