Wasps

gordon.ramel gordon.ramel at bbsrc.ac.uk
Mon Aug 18 07:03:38 EDT 1997

Hi???,
Thanks for the photo, as I do not own any guides to the insects of the USA I
can not tell you which species this is but it is an Ichnuemon wasp,
Ichnuemonidae, it won't sting you the long sting is really for drilling into
the maple to lay eggs on and thus parasitise the wood boring larvae of another
Hymenopteran, the horntail wasp.

                              Yours Gratefully Gordon

        <G.J.L.Ramel at exeter.ac.uk or Gordon.Ramel at bbsrc.ac.uk>
        < http://www.ex.ac.uk/~gjlramel/welcome.html>
        < Phone work = +44 (0)1837 82558 ext. 173>
        < Fax work = +44 (0)1837 82139>
        < c/of I.G.E.R. North Wyke, Devon, England.  EX20 2SB.>

                  Children are the guardians of the future,
     knowledge should neither be inflicted on, nor withheld from them.

                 "felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas"