cabbage butterflies

Daniel Glaeske dglaeske at epping.ndak.net
Tue Aug 26 09:06:19 EDT 1997

Somewhat last season, and much more this season (especially in drier
habitats), I have been seeing "dwarf" cabbage butterflies.  I caught
several last week (kept one) and compared them to their normal sized
congeners.  They run about 25% smaller than average, with increased dark
scaling and decreased yellow scaling, though it is too small a series to
make definite comments.  Is there a known smaller phenotype?  Perhaps it
is associated with cooler, drier weather.  They certainly stand out
compared to the typical Pieris rapae in my backyard.

Thanks in advance

Daniel