Mail Order Moths/Butterflys...where?

John V. Calhoun bretcal at gte.net
Thu Aug 28 17:21:31 EDT 1997

sonnycrockett at rocketmail.com wrote:

> When I was a tike my teacher used to order moth cocoons from some place
> called "Duke Downey."  I wanted to get some for my kids to raise but I
> can't locate this place...does anyone know of a mail order business where
> I could obtain moth cocoons and butterfly chrysalis' to raise?
>
> Thanks

Actually, "Duke Downey" is not a "where", but a "who".  Years ago he
offed pupae for sale.  In fact, he is pictured on page 34 of the book by
Paul Villiard entitled "Moths and How to Rear Them" 1969).  He lived in
Sheridan, Wyoming.  I believe he passed away years ago.  Anyone else
have any updated info?  Just a bit of historical trivia.

Best,
John