databases

Michael Healy MJRHEALY at compuserve.com
Wed Jul 2 12:18:49 EDT 1997

I'm among those using Jim Asher's Levana package, and it works quite well
for UK butterflies.  It could easily be adapted to other apecies lists.
However, it does show signs of its age and its life and extension do depend
rather heavily on Jim's personal survival and interest.  As the originator
of a one-man statistics package (easier to use, more intelligent,etc than
the rival ones, but ...) I know what the problems are.  My view is that we
should be able to agree upon an adaptation of one of the big commercial
packages such as the one in Microsoft Office.  Then we could rely upon the
commercial boys for maintenance, and could call upon a vast degree of
database expertise worldwide.  How do people react to this (including Jim)?
Michael Healy