Brittany

Simon Coombes captain at mail.zynet.co.uk
Sun Jul 13 15:07:39 EDT 1997

Hi

While on a recent school trip to Brittany, France I managed to get away for
a couple of hours and wander around the local forest, turned out to be very
productive.

Brimstone		Gonepteryx rhamni
Silver washed fritillary	Argynnis paphia
Gatekeeper		Pyronia tithonus
Speckled wood		Pararge aegeria
Green-veined white	Artogeia napi
White admiral		Limentis camilla
Large white		Pieris brassicae
Large chequered skipper	Heteropterus morpheus
Small copper		Lycaena phlaeas
Small white		Artogeia rapae
Holly blue		Celastrina argiolus
Ringlet			Aphantopus hyperantus
Essex skipper		Thymelicus lineola
Large skipper		Ochlodes venatus
Red admiral		Vanessa atalanta
Peacock		Inachis io
Ilex hairstreak		Nordmannia ilicis
Meadow brown		Maniola jurtina
Small tortoiseshell	Aglais urticae
Purple emperor		Apatura iris
Marbled white		Melanargia galathea

The forest in question is vast, I only managed a few hundred metres into
it, I'm sure I would have seen more if time would have allowed. For anyone
interested, I know quite a few Brits pop over to Brittany in the summer the
wood was called Foret de Lorge, just to the south of Quintin. My first ever
A. iris, sat on my foot for twenty minutes drinking sweat, marvellous !

Any field guides to this area ? Anyone have local knowledge, there are a
number of species we don't get in the UK which I'd like to find and
photograph, hopefully I'll get the photos I took onto my website in a few
weeks.

Cheers

Simon Coombes
3 Valletort Place
Stonehouse
Plymouth
Pl1 3SP
UK
01752 260633

E-mail  Captain at mail.zynet.co.uk

Some European butterfly pictures
http://www.zynet.co.uk/base/captain
Currently 10 images and an account of the butterflies of Tenerife.