Monarda - 'Cambridge Scarlet'

Ron Lane rl7329 at m7.sprynet.com
Sun Jul 6 21:47:46 EDT 1997

I grow 4 color variations of Monarda in my flower beds as a nectar
source for butterflies (and moths). Last year it seemed that the
beautiful red 'Cambridge Scarlet' variety didn't attract any
butterflies (bees like it fine). This year I have confirmed my
suspicions. I have 2 patches of the C.S. - one 6' by 6' and the other
larger. I have not seen one butterfly in either patch but they
regularly feed at the other colors.

I'm wondering if I just have a crummy batch or if this variety is
really no good for leps.

Side note - on a trip to a Northeast PA swamp this weekend, I saw my
first adult Baltimore (Euphydryas phaeton) - looking like it just
emerged. Incredibly beautiful!

Ron Lane
RL7329 at sprynet.com
Central NJ, USA