Atalopedes campestris host

Pavulaan at aol.com Pavulaan at aol.com
Tue Jul 29 22:08:35 EDT 1997

Kentucky Bluegrass (Poa pratensis) is a confirmed host of the Sachem Skipper
(Atalopedes campestris) (Hesperioidea).

For the past 4 years, including the current year, I have observed A.
campestris females ovipositing freely on Kentucky Bluegrass in my yard.  I
had considered that other grasses might have attracted egg-laying activity,
whereby the females would select any nearby grass for egg-laying sites, with
KY. Bluegrass being most abundant.  However, part of my backyard has pure KY.
Bluegrass, and other prominent grasses have been removed from the area.  On
7/27/97, I observed two female A. campestris ovipositing heavily in this
area, thus confirming that KY. Bluegrass was the selected host.

Last year (1996) several female A. campestris oviposited freely on KY.
Bluegrass in captivity, and larvae developed normally to adulthood,
confirming at that time, that it was at least a suitable larval foodplant.

Harry Pavulaan
Herndon, VA.