PLEASE VOTE ON THIS ISSUE

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Mon Jun 9 09:03:55 EDT 1997

Tatoosh wrote:

> PLEASE FORWARD TO YOUR FRIENDS AND OTHER LIST SERVERS
>
> CYBER VOTE - SPREAD THE WORD
> Confidentiality Guaranteed!
>
> Your response is vital to the July 4th - National Butterfly Release,
> which already has been given the go-ahead on the federal and state
> level.
> snip
> If you believe releasing butterflies (permitted of course) is beneficial
> to bringing public awareness to the decline of the butterflies, then
> YOUR YES VOTE IS NEEDED!
>
> If you want to keep things in balance PLEASE VOTE YES TODAY...
>
> Just forward your vote to hans7 at i-link-2.net

Speaking as one of the low-lifes you're complaining about:

Dear Hans,
Restoring the balance of nature requires teaching everyone the beauty of
biodiversity. Every butterfly is precious, whatever its species.
Many of them were created to feed other forms of life. This, too, is
important.
If you teach children that Man was created to decide which other forms
of life should exist on this planet, that Man is driving the bus (and
this may be true), then you must teach them that all insects (for
example) are important, not just the pretty ones.
Of course children should rear caterpillars in their homes, and in the
classroom, and let them fly free and delight at the spectacle.
The best way to do this is to plant a butterfly garden, visit it
frequently, enjoy the free-flying butterflies. Take in a plant with a
few eggs to enjoy if you like; no harm in that.
I think children should learn about nature out of doors.
I also think that butterflies are God's gift to us, and that just as the
rainbow is a promise that the race of man will endure, so the butterfly
is a promise that we are loved.
I believe that the way to put back butterflies is to teach people to lay
off their poison sprays, and preserve habitat.
I do not believe that releasing lab-raised butterflies makes the point
you wish to make. (You have permits in all the states? Gosh!)
I understand that you are committed to this project, and I'm sure you'll
have a marvelous time on the Fourth.
Meanshile, are you still working on your plan for promoting unmowed
highway verges, filled with native flowers and butterflies? That's a
marvelous project, and you deserve praise for it.
I derive much pleasure from the flowering roadsides here in South
Florida.
Sincerely,
Anne Kilmer