Newborn Monarch Food

Jim Hefkey jhefkey at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jun 17 00:50:20 EDT 1997

Help !

What can I feed to recently emerged Monarch butterflies ???
With a recent Indian summer our swan plant has become loaded with larva
and chrysalides. Now our regular winter temp has arrived (New Zealand)
my 5 year old son & I "rescued"(?) about 25 chrysalis, attached them to
a branch, and brought our "butterfly tree" inside where it is warmer.
With the adults now hatching, I would like to give them a day or two
inside before returning them to the great outdoors. Assuming that they
do need to be fed during this period is a sugar & water nectar OK?
Honey?

Thanks, Jim