French names of tropical butterflies

Pierre Zagatti Pierre.Zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
Mon Jun 16 04:46:31 EDT 1997

In article
<Pine.SOL.3.95.970613181219.29440B-100000 at sun2.ruf.uni-freiburg.de>,
Gunnar Brehm <brehmgu at ruf.uni-freiburg.de> says:

>Hello!
>I am looking for the French names of the following tropical butterfly
>species. Who can help me finding them? Please, send any information to
my
>e-mail-address:brehgu at ruf.uni-freiburg.de
>Graphium agamemnon
>Heliconius ismenius
>Morpho peleides
>Parthenos sylvia
>Agrias claudia
>Papilio ulysses
>
>Thanks very much!
>
>Gunnar Brehm, 07661/930114 <brehmgu at ruf.uni-freiburg.de>

I am afraid there are no French names for these insects.
Perhaps in French Guiana some Morphos may receive a common name,
but all lepidopterists I met, either in south America or Africa,
always use scientific names.
The same in France, latin names are used for butterflies, except
for the commonest sp., although all have -official- French names !

Pierre Zagatti
INRA Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
78026 Versailles Cedex
France
zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/