Specimen repair etc.

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Fri May 2 14:16:39 EDT 1997

Mark Walker requested details on my relaxing chamber--how the specimens
are supported.

In the bottom of the Pyrex dish is a layer of sand. Sitting on the sand
is a rectangular open wooden frame (3/4" thick) across which is stretched
fiberglass screen. The sand is saturated with water.

I place the specimens in their glassine envelopes in the relaxer overnight,
and in the morning take them out of the envelopes and place them on top
of their envelopes (which have the data). Small to average species are
ready to spread the next evening--larger ones are uusally ready the morn-
ing after that.

Before I constructed this relaxing chamber, I also regarding relaxing as
a real pain. Now I think nothing of it...

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu