strange find

John V. Calhoun bretcal at gte.net
Sat May 17 15:57:37 EDT 1997

TOrouke at AOL.COM wrote:

> I have found in my pasture in North Atlanta what by all indications is the
> distinctive
> Umber Skipper paratryone melane!!!

This indeed is an interesting record.  It sounds as though you found
only a single specimen. Is it a male or female?  There are a couple of
native skippers which can resemble melane, including Atalopedes
campestris (a highly variable species--especially females).  Also, if it
truly melane, the subspecific identity could give you a better idea of
its origin (P. m. melane occurs in California and northern Baja
California; P. m. vitellina is mostly Mexican, but has been found in the
southwestern U.S.).  The nominate subspecies possesses more orange
overscaling on the upperside.  Keep us posted.

Best,
John Calhoun