REleamses

Mark Walker mwalker at aisvt.bfg.com
Wed Oct 1 12:13:39 EDT 1997

James Adams responded:

(stuff snipped)

> (hopefully) not the selfish act you make it sound like.  Mark Walker
> does present an interesting biological possibility, that we are just
> another one of evolution's creatures, and that the earth will deal
> with us accordingly.  But I don't think he meant it in the selfish,
> do nothing way that you suggest...

Well, if I did, I wouldn't admit it now };>)

Actually, you are correct.  The idea was to try getting-out-of-the-box so to
speak.  From within the box, I can't stand the idea of what our mucking might
do to the individual species we know and love (let alone the planet as a
whole).  Imagine - species might hybridize, others might disappear - it could
potentially change the entire face of the earth...

So - from outside the box - we represent the fallout of an extensive meteor
shower, the massive collision of tectonic plates, the advancing of a global ice
sheet, or the result of 40 days and nights of rain.  The earth will never again
look the same.  Change is inevitable.

Not a justification for doing whatever the hell we like.  Just an interesting
way of looking at the ethics and the very subjective sense of loss.  Let us
continue to try and make _right_ choices, even if in the long run the entire
set of possible outcomes might ultimately be equally amoral.

And I don't even know if I agree with any of what I just said...

Mark Walker.