USDA permits

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Fri Oct 3 15:43:37 EDT 1997

Paul C Weaver wrote:

> I am a concerned entomologist ,snip

> 2)  What is the rule on having  native lepidoptera in an exhibit for
> zoological and conservation purposes.  What about for breeding these
> native leps in this type setting.
>
> Reason and example: The local zoo here in the town I live in is setting up
> a butterfly exhibit of local specimens.  They are not allow to breed these
> butterflies under any condition.  They have to buy pupae constantly
> because of the USDA (no wonder people don't know about butterflies and
> moths).  They will not have a single larval foodplant in the exhibit (so
> much of public education which in my opinion would be the whole point of
> the exhibit).  I see this as a total waste of money (purchase of pupae
> with private and taxpayers money) and education/conservation (having to
> show larval foodplants outside the exhibit at best).  Just having nectur
> plants in a garden is only half the equation and will do little for
> conservation.
>I've been helping the local zoo in West Palm Beach, Florida, with their
collection for years. we have an open cage, where the larval host plants
are offered. Butterflies of several species come into the cage and lay
eggs, carry on their development etc. where people can see them easily.
The local butterfly club is producing signs to interpret this process.
The cage reduces predation by grackles etc., and focuses attention of
zoo-goers on the exhibit.
An out doors garden adds to the butterfly collection, and the whole zoo
is planted with larval hosts and nectar-producing trees, as well as
fruit trees and browse for herbivores.
If you form a local club which will stock your butterfly cage, in
addition to tending your outdoors garden, you can have a fine seasonal
exhibit.
Here, where butterflies breed year round, it's necessary to be careful
about tropicals. I've seen some pretty odd butterflies around Butterfly
World; that building was grandfathered in and would not now be
permitted.
I'd think that Canada and Alaska could have some fun with tropicals on
passionvine and cassia  in the malls. Well lit, they could have exhibits
year round, cared for by local schools' ecology clubs.

> 4) What is the USDA definition of a pest species?  From what I can tell it
> is any herbivore period.  How would this relate to insects that eat pest
> plants (stinging nettle would be considered a pest plant by most
> agricultural farmers not to mention Kudzo).
> The broader brush they use, the easier it is for them to enforce the
laws without having to acquire a painful amount of knowledge. ;) They
can't train all the customs officials, for instance, as entomologists.

> 5) Why does the USDA release non-native insects into the environment to
> control pest species which are of agricultural importance?

Because they can.

> Some governments have strict regulations on the rearing of exotics and
> some governments support and encourage exotic breeding. It sure would be
> nice to have an exotic insect fair like the ones in Europe. It would be
> nice to have an insect fair in my state period or in the states around
> mine.

sure would. A native insect fair woould be a hoot.

I've been thinking; if we have school vegetable gardens (and we're
building those here) wouldn't a bunch of little bug collectors be nice
to have around? I'm rethinking my position here.

> Thanks,
> PAUL
>
> BTW Please don't answer with a web page to look at.  I want to know from
> real people.  Hold back no details and post to all people on this list
> server.

Good luck.
Anne Kilmer
South Florida