Help Identify

Dr. James Adams JADAMS at carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Mon Oct 6 11:44:03 EDT 1997

Dear Sherry,

    I agree that the beast on your Passiflora in Tennessee is likely
the Gulf Fritillary (Agraulis vanillae).  This is a migrant species
that likely will not survive the winter, but will likely return next
summer.  There is another possibility, however.  The Variegated
Fritillary (Euptoieta claudia) also occasionally eats Maypop, and its
caterpillar looks similar to that of A. vanillae.  No, the spines are
not dangerous; they're just for show.

    James