Not allowed to rear local butterflies, WHAT?!

Pavulaan at aol.com Pavulaan at aol.com
Mon Oct 6 20:43:22 EDT 1997

In a message dated 97-10-03 14:54:07 EDT, Paul Weaver writes:

<< The local zoo here in the town I live in is setting up a butterfly exhibit
of local specimens.  They are not allow to breed these butterflies under any
condition.   >>

WHAT?  When did THIS rule come about?  Who made it?  Who enforces it?

Now I've heard everything.  Paul, tell me this is not so.  If this is true,
then ultimately any child rearing a caterpillar is breaking the law.  And
what of it?  Does this rearing restriction apply only to the confines of an
enclosure, or are they going to restrict butterfly gardens as well?  (God,
there are Monarchs eating my Milkweeds!  Lock me up, please!).

Are the geniuses at the USDA behind this one or is this a STATE thing?  Maybe
Bob Flanders could explain this one to us? (And please, like Paul asked, no
web sites.)

Not being allowed to rear local butterflies?  Where is this going to end?  My
congressman is going to get an earful now.

Harry Pavulaan