Ctenuchids on banana(?)

Dr. James Adams JADAMS at carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Tue Oct 7 10:00:45 EDT 1997

DEAr listers,

    Ernst Neering has suggested that Graham Dixon's moth on bananas
is a species in the genus Macrocneme.  I have already sent Graham
Dixon a personal message suggesting that his moth is a limacodid in
the genus Acharia (Sibine is a synonym), which includes, in the U.S.
the Saddleback Caterpillar Moth.  I have worked with a number of
arctiid moths (including Macrocneme) over the years, and arctiids
were the subject of my dissertation, but I have recently become very
interested in limacodids as well.  Graham's description of hairy
legs, chocolate brown wings with two small white spots, etc. matches
extremely closely with Acharia stimulea (the moth mentioned above).
Indeed, in all my travels in the tropics, most species of Acharia are
almost identical in their coloration.  Virtually all species of
Macrocneme are black with some kind of greenish irridescence (Graham
makes no mention of this), and quite wasp-like in form (and Graham
makes no mention of this, either).  I do agree with Ernst that the
caterpillar probably just walked on to the bananas, though some
species of limacodids do feed on large monocots in the tropics.

    Ernst is also correct that if you want a great revision of the
genus, see Deitz's paper that he mentions.

    James