wrapup (Re: where to complain about spam...)

Doug Yanega dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br
Thu Oct 9 12:39:05 EDT 1997

>Hello Mr. Yanega,
>
>Here is the extract from your email:
>
>> >Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 21:06:27 -0300
>> >From: Doug Yanega <dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br>
>> >To: LEPS-L at lists.yale.edu
>> >Subject: where to complain about spam: 300 world first products...
>> >
>> >For other annoyed recipients of the latest spam, here's who apparently
>> >gives them their e-mail access - Peter.Wilmot at GLOBALONE.NET, the
>> >administrator of gip.net (my example follows):
>
>Just see the above lines which shows you are blaming Peter Wilmot, the
>administartor of gip.net and now you are saying you never blamed him.
>You don't even want to except the false allegations you have been
>spreading. :-(

Okay. One more time. If gip.net gives magna.com.au their internet access,
then the statement above is entirely justified, and only by misreading can
you construe it as a personal attack on Mr. Wilmot. Since he lists himself
as the administrative contact for gip.net, when we receive a spam that
comes via a gip.net client, then Mr. Wilmot is the person to which
complaints should be directed. It is HIS decision whether to terminate
magna.com.au's account or not. Deciding what to do about that account is
his responsibility. Quite simple. You are confusing my telling people to
direct complaints TO him with directing complaints AT him. If anyone else
out there similarly misconstrued my message as implying that Mr. Wilmot was
in any way personally responsible for the spam, then I hereby formally
offer my apologies for not being more explicit. Please let's just get back
to business.

Sincerely,

Doug Yanega    Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486, 30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
phone: 031-448-1223, fax: 031-441-5481  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/