moths GEHP: owl eyed moth

ernst neering Ernst.Neering at STAFF.TPE.WAU.NL
Thu Oct 23 21:44:00 EDT 1997

Sarah,

If I hear about an owl eyed moth, I immediately think of the neotropical owl
butterfly Caligo (Nymphalidae: Brassolinae), the one that is so often
illustrated in popular books about insects together with an owl which it is
supposed to mimic.
The eyes are on the underside of the hindwings, which means a potential
predator only sees one eye. The caterpillars live on plants of the banana
family (Musaceae). They usually are active around dusk and often fly into
houses, attracted by light, reason why people may think it is moth, not a
butterfly. I do not know whether they can be found that far north.

If the eyes are on the upperside of the hindwing it may be one of the
Saturniidae such as Automerus io, as Chris suggested, but also some are found
in Sphingidae (hawkmoths, larvae are called hornworms). Smerinthus ocellata
is a common european species, caterpillars on Salix, there is a Smerinthus
cerisyi in the USA which is known as eyed hawkmoth.

I hope this helps you to find more about your moth.

Just a remark (also to Chris): if your project is on "bugs", it should be
about Heteroptera not Lepidoptera.

Kind regards,

Ernst Neering
The Netherlands

>Could she be talking about an io moth (Automeris io) by chance?  She
>should try looking for pictures of it in basic bug books like the old
                              BUG BOOK?!?!?